Tuesday 11 September 2012

the weekend continues to Tuesday

0930 sunday morning (I think I'll blog weekly from now) and the streets of Hay Ryad, the very posh area in which I reside, are deserted. I'm off to the local convenience store to get brekky essentials to accompany my weekly date with the Archers. It's omnibus day and there's trouble with a gay East European strawberry picker and the Grundys are getting the Christmas turkeys in. Marvellous
I have several missions today:
1. Pick up velo from Embassy which a colleague has kindly lent me.
2. Find supermarche nominated by Robert de Niro (top taxi driver...geddit) yesterday where I can buy better quality vin etc
On me bike, avoiding the highways, along the ubiquitous red dirt tracks of Africa and a supermarche appears like an oasis. And Bobby's spot on. It's not a Waitrose but it's certainly Sainsburys and a cut above yesterday.
Cycling to the shops, just like being at home in Deal.
Love this cycling lark so off to the local forest to commune with nature. Hello birds, hello sky. The forest sounds interesting, a major global supplier of cork. Well, it's just cork trees and once you've seen one cork tree...
Local cafe for a coffee (70p, result) watching Morocco get spanked by Mozambique (yawn)
So what shall we do Sunday evening? Pop down the pub for a couple of beers before dins. Pas possible you think, dear reader, (how sad that is if no one reads this). Mais non, I leap on the velo and pedal off to the English Pub I chanced upon earlier. Couple of (expensive) Casablancas, a Moroccan baby's head wetting party next door (lemonade and mint tea) and a repeat of the footy and I'm ready for dinner. The Pub rather reminded me of an hostelry in Horsham, Ye Olde Stoute House. I'll bet a million pounds I'm the only person in Rabat today - possibly this side of the Rif - who went shopping on me bike and then went out for a pint on me bike.
Monday to work and I return home to find the velo gone! Oh la la la la la la la la la! The more las, the more shocking the incident. Bastard voleurs - and I thought this was a good neighbourhood.
Tuesday, I shamefacedly report the crime to our CLO (community liaison officer) and the Management Section. They appear quite concerned but they all think I'm a numpty really. And they're right.
Couple of jobs need doing in my apartment - straightening the rugs and doing the washing up so Mohammed the Handyman is sent round. Actually he is going to fix the shower and the satellite tv so he is also tasked to ask the concierge if he knows anything about the disappearance of the velo.
Mo-Han does a great job and discovers the concierge also thought I was a numpty leaving the bike where I did and he put it somewhere safe. Phew.
After all that excitement I need a cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you're the only person in Rabat, nay MOROCCO (nay, on this humble rock flying through space) who has a date to listen to the Archers as well.

    ReplyDelete