Tuesday 25 September 2012

Pavements are for........

Parking, pineapples and anything but pietons. A bit of an exaggeration but see the pics. And the kerbs. You can get vertigo standing on them. Oh, and don't forget the cleverly concealed holes.
My interest in pavements has increased since I started walking to work - well I can't get a taxi, can I?
Continuing the transport theme. Took a bendy bus into town today (Sat) and there were 2 bus conductors on board. 1 in the back part and 1 in the front. 1 had yellow tickets and 1 had green. Ah, I thought, I've cracked that system. No, front coach conductor decided he'd had enough and sat down and back coach conductor had to do the whole bus. Well, I found it interesting.
Sunday and it's off to the beach on my bike. Oh no, not more boring transportation tales!
No, this one's fairly interesting.
It's about 8km to Temara beach and that's a bike ride here. En route I saw loads of fishermen on the rocks and edge of the (what's a small cliff called?). Well I never, another similarity with that jewel in the south, Deal. The slight difference being that they catch fish here. Spotting a man attempting to stand up on the small cliff with his rod bent at a very sharp angle - titter ye not - and his chum holding on to him for dear life. I leapt off me bike to go and investigate. I wish I had a video of this. He's on this 100ft cliff with loads of massive rocks down below and another mate clambering back and forth on the rocks trying to be in the right position if he lands the fish. Eventually about 15 mins later, we see the fish just off the rocks - this I know is the dangerous time. If the line catches the rocks.... No worries for these chaps. they wait for a big wave to lift the fish over the rocks and deposit it in a sort of rock pool. I can't do justice to the nerve and agility of the chap who speared the fish, carried it to a place where he could climb up and brought the fish to the top. I couldn't have climbed it with Chris bonington hauling me up let alone with a monster fish. Just look:
  And he was a big lad holding fish.
What an adventure and I was jolly excited. Til I reached Temara and one of the the feckin pedals fell off. Ever tried cycling 8K up and down hills with one pedal? No I bet you haven't Bradley Wiggins. Should be an Olympic sport I think. Seems to make your bum more sore than normal cycling.
I had a quiet and restful rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment